Monday, May 18, 2009

on the way to the airport...and the flights...



Here is my mom and I in the car on the way to the airport. My dad was driving.... I thought i was going to miss my flight because we were supposed to leave the house by 4, but we left at 4:30 am. My flight left at 6:25, but i made it through security with an hour to spare. I slept for the first couple of hours, then was awake and wrote some goals in my journal. About halfway through the flight, I thought I would never get off the plane, it was taking forever, and i thought to myself, how am I ever going to survive a 9 hour flight???? Soon after I had those thoughts, we were landing in New York, so I said, I can do this!!! It was really exciting to be in New York because I have never been there before, but I did not see much; it was very cloudy :( oh well, i guess i ill have to come back!
When I finally found the international terminal, boy was it full of people everywhere!!! And they all were speaking different languages. I already felt like I was in a different country, and initiated Hillary-security-mode!! I was constantly looking behind me to make sure that no one one was going to take anything from my backpack, or try to approach me... Luckily I made it through security pretty quickly, and I finally found a place to sit down and call my parents for the last few times. I had a 4 hour layover, but didn't do much during that time.
...About the Flight...
It turned out only to be 7 hours and 45 minutes which made me a bit happier, but still a long time! I also knew that I needed to sleep a lot, because when I arrived in Wien it was 9:15 am, and I would have a huge day ahead of me!!! It was really great on the plane because I had a window seat, no one one next to me, and the guy I sat by was not a creeper! In fact, he was really nice and we talked a bit throughout the flight. He is from Albania, but goes to school in New York, so he speaks perfect english. That was a first relief. I tried to sleep as much as I could, but only ended up getting about 3 hours, or maybe 4? It was also cloudy the entire flight so I couldn't see much out the window, oh, and for most of the flight it was also dark, and nothing to see since it was all the Atlantic ocean :). When we had about 2 hours left, we flew over Ireland, so I took a picture of the clouds over Ireland for my former roommate Beka, because she will be going on study abroad to the British Isles starting in Ireland. I think I also snapped a photo of the clouds over Germany :) and a couple of the green that I saw as we were descending to Vienna. It is soo green! Just like the pictures I have seen, and there is so much history here!! I am so excited to learn all about it!
On Saturday, my roommate and I walked around the city and went inside two churches (Kirche) St. Michael's Kirche and St. Peter's Kirche. ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!!!! WOW!! I am sure we will go inside again during the course of the spring and summer semesters.
I post more pictures as I take more and see more. Bis dann!

No comments:

Post a Comment