Monday, May 25, 2009

A Hike up 343 steps!!

On Friday, Anne and I went running/walking by the Donau Kanal (auf deutsch) mostly walking. We live right down the street from the canal and I realized that we live really close to the inner city. We really live in a great location. (Today, Sunday, we went for a walk with our host-mother’s dog in the other direction down the canal and it is way prettier that way, so I think we will go in that direction from now on.) After our run, we met up with some of our classmates and our teacher and some of his kids and we all climbed the 343 steps to the top of Stephansdom! (It’s the gothic building that we went inside on Wednesday.) It is a straight up shot, and the stairs just keep winding up and until we finally reached the top, and looked out the windows and could see the city. It is so beautiful here!
*we normally have class Monday through Friday, but because of the holiday on Thursday, the schedule got thrown off a little bit so class was also cancelled on Friday.
After the climb back down the steps, our professor took us to another one of his favorite Italian Gelato Eis places. This time I got hazelnut and strawberry… sehr lecker!!! (It tasted sooo good!) After the ice cream, a few of us took the U-bahn to Schönbruhn Palace. We walked around the grounds and saw the beautiful gardens and huge palace. Another day we will go inside with our class and I can tell you more about it. Across from the palace is a hill to climb up and at the top was this pretty building that is now a café. I was thinking of dad as we were hiking up the hill, because there were a lot of hard-core runners in their running outfits running up the hill, and all over the grounds. Dad, good luck on Monday running the L.A. Marathon!!! I am excited for you and I will be thinking of you as you run! This palace sort of reminds me of Versailles in Paris, only I think this palace is smaller, and doesn’t have so many gardens. It is really cool to be able to compare one palace to another… I feel so cultured!! Thanks mom and dad for allowing me to travel the world!! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment