Monday, June 1, 2009

Cast not away therefore your confidence

I just finished reading a talk by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum if the 12 Apostles entitled, “Cast not away therefore your Confidence”. I suggest each of you read this talk. The first words of the talk are,
“Beware the temptation to retreat from a good thing. If it was right when you prayed about it and trusted in it, it is right now.”
The tears immediately came streaming down my face when I read these first words. I had just gotten off the phone with my parents (during the phone conversation my dad reminded me of the talk which I had saved, but had not yet read). This past week has been interesting… I have felt really homesick, and basically just wanted to go home. This talk reminded me of other things that I need to be doing at this time in my life. I want to share something personal with you right now. I do not know how I am here in Vienna, Austria, half way around the world-actually I do know how I am here. It is because the opportunity presented itself and a little voice, the holy ghost, prompted me to make the decision to be here. After I had been accepted into the program, I remember one night in my apartment at the Elms with my five awesome roommates, it was my turn to say apartment prayer, and that particular week we were all saying the prayer in our second language (French, Chinese, German for me), and that night I said the prayer in German and the words just flowed from my mouth. About half way through my prayer, I paused and realized that that was my voice speaking another language. I wasn’t thinking in English and then translating each word, they were just flowing as complete thoughts auf Deutsch. I was so surprised, but at that moment, I knew that the holy ghost was telling me something – that Heavenly Father has a plan for me and that plan includes being here now in Austria. That is why I am here today. And I have received tons of support from so many people, so many words of encouragement, that have all helped me get on that plane two weeks ago, and now I am here, with so much to learn and so much to see. Elder Holland’s words are very profound. Please read them.
There is opposition in all things. Otherwise we would not understand nor be able to enjoy the sweetness without knowing the bitterness. The fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ is on the earth today. Personal revelation is flowing to those who will seek it. Heavenly Father is our literal father, and Jesus Christ is His Son and my Savior. Christ truly did suffer in the Garden of Gethsemane for my sins, weaknesses, and trials. He waits for me to come to Him. He wants we to return to Him and call upon Him for His help in everything that I do. I know the scriptures are the words of God to me. The prophets who wrote the scriptures were inspired and each of Heavenly Father’s children can feel of His love, and learn from the experiences of the prophets. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has the fullness of the restored gospel on the earth today, and it will not be taken away until the Savior comes again. When you are facing trials, press on, fight on,
“Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward.
“For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise. …
“… If any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
“… We are not of them who draw back unto perdition.” 5
“fear ye not. … The Lord shall fight for you.”
“Courage brethren, and on, on to the victory!”

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful words of encouragement, Sissy. Thank-you for sending them. I am thrilled that you are having this experience in Austria. The challenges, the opportunities, the excitement, the apprehension are all part of the experience. Sieze each day.

    Love,

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete